Tuesday, July 3

Getting To The Other Side


We are so fortunate that mum is being treated by a lovely oncologist Dr Tracey O'Conner. She is unfailingly polite and kind and even though the appointment was two hours late today and the clinic was frantically busy .You would never know - she is completely calm and attentive. I asked her what time she would get home tonight to her own kids and she doubted it would be before 7pm. Apparently, her son knows and understands that mom looks after the "sick ladies". We certainly appreciate "mom " AKA Dr O'Conner and all the other moms that work at Roswell .

Things are looking OK. Her blood work showed that her white blood cell count was a bit high and there were some other things that were "off" on the bloodwork - RDW, Lymphocytes and Neutrophils were abnormal Glucose was a bit high , Calcium and protein a bit low, Alkaline phosphatase and BUN / Creatine high ....... phew ......its all a bit complicated . What I found most ironic was that the CA 27.29 , a tumour marker used to detect recurrence of metastatic breast cancer was normal . Her CEA , another cancer tumour marker was elevated however. The CEA is most commonly used to monitor cancer of the gastrointestinal tract.

We're both tired and a bit fed up . The "novelty" is starting to wear off - the only thing now that will help is to go to the mall !! Somehow I tend to end up carrying my mums walking stick and she wanders off leaving me in the dust ! I gave her strict instructions this morning to wait for me in radiology and guess who I saw disappearing into an elevator totally ignoring me ???

Maybe she is getting back to normal ? She's got many rivers still to cross , but for now , she's making her way.