Thursday, December 27

Island Escape

Hola Amigos ! We are officially on island time - Isla Mujeres to be precise.We said goodbye to the family yesterday in Cancun after a glorious ten days. Quite spontaneously,we decided to stay on in Mexico for a few more days. I had a teeny bit of guilt putting Colin on the plane by himself but that evaporated once the plane took off safely. He is headed off to Michigan with his dad for a week.

We are staying at a lovely B&B ,Casa Sirena and we could'nt be more relaxed. It's surprising how quickly we have settled into the groove here. Breakfast outside, head to the beach and then "happy hour" and dinner at 5.30. It's easy, simple and peaceful.

We've met several people here that came on vacation and never went home. Their stories have made me reflect on my own life in Canada. These past couple of weeks have only emphasized to me the importance of not getting all worked up over stupid things. Shopping malls, highways and the big house in the suburbs hold little appeal for me nowdays. My mums illness has also underscored the importance of my family and friends. Material possesions seem irrelevant in the big picture.

(Note to self - must get rid of my U-Haul locker full of stuff that I don't use)

Steve, the owner of Casa Sirena is an American ex-pat who gave up his old life in Minnesota to find a simpler, easier way of life in Mexico. I asked him if he was worried about taking such a big risk and plunging into the relative unknown. He said very emphatically that he was far more scared of NOT making a change. After a year of running the B&B , he can't imagine ever returning .

There's a (big) part of me that has an "escape" fantasy . I felt this even last year when I spent time on the Pacific coast of Mexico. So,I think at the very least, I have to take some spanish lessons.When I am back in Canada and it's freezing cold, I'll practice a few Spanish phrases to evoke the memories of this delightful country.

Buonas noches de México hermoso